Ally and Logistics Organizer with CTUL
CTUL seeks to hire an Ally and Logistics Organizer to build and maintain a base of allies who organize in solidarity with worker led campaigns in addition to logistically supporting events and actions. Please submit resume and cover letter by Extended:May 31, 2018.
Background on CTUL
Over the past ten years, CTUL has forged a new path for worker leadership development in the Twin Cities, opening new spaces where low-wage workers of color have a voice in their workplaces and in their communities. CTUL seeks to strengthen its work building a Multi-Racial organization
CTUL has a vision of organizing the most marginalized workers in our economy to directly confront the elite corporations and 1% that control our economy, make demands, and win concrete and structural changes for communities across the metro area. Through worker-led campaigns with CTUL, workers have:
- Worked in coalition to win increased wages and benefits for hundreds of thousands of low-wage workers through the $15 minimum wage in Minneapolis, and Earned Sick & Safe Time in Minneapolis and St. Paul;
- Transformed the retail janitorial industry, making the Twin Cities the first metro area where the industry is unionized;
- Recovered over $2 million in unpaid wages and damages in cases of wage theft; and
- Won long-term changes in their workplace that bring over $7 million in additional income per year into the poorest communities in the metro area.
We are seeking a responsible, focused individual who is committed to social justice work, is self-motivated and is capable of working both independently and cooperatively. Experience in and knowledge of movement building and organizational relationships in the Twin Cities is highly desired. Some community organizing experience and experience with broader solidarity work is also desired.
A successful candidate will be highly organized, self-motivated, detail oriented, strategic, and able to manage multiple tasks under tight deadlines. Candidates must possess exceptional interpersonal skills and an ability to work collaboratively with coalitions, community members, students, volunteers, Board members, CTUL members, staff, and donors. This job requires flexibility in work schedules, sometimes working evenings, weekends, and at certain times working long hours. Having a car or access to a vehicle is important. Being bilingual is an asset but not required.
Logistics (20%-40% of work)
- Bottomline logistics and materials for actions and major escalations
- Supervise and work with any contracted logistics support
- Bottomline internal logistics and materials for staff and board retreats, member meetings, and other organization-wide events
- Purchase office supplies and other organizational materials.
- Coordinate check-out system for ally organizations to borrow action supplies.
- Coordinate any outside rental use of the building? (would add 5% time)
- Secure rides and childcare for worker meetings and for events like strikes or weeks of action
- Bottomline data entry for major events
- Maintain database with information about allied individuals, interns, and organizations
Ally Organizing (60%-80% of work)
- Shape and lead roles and turnout for events/actions
- Build and maintain coalitional and organizational relationships
- Coordinate and give community and class presentations to amplify CTUL’s work
- Recruit, train, and coordinate volunteers for delegations, mailings, phone banks, and other events
- Support ally leadership development through regular engagement with ally base
- Support allies in carrying out strategies that stand in solidarity with worker led campaigns
- Create and build relationship to donor organizing program while supporting ally fundraising
- Support and coordinate intern program including weekly political ed and skills training program
- Implement group and 1:1 leadership development with intern cohorts from universities and community colleges
Salary & Benefit
This is a salaried position compensated at $38,600 per year. Benefits include: 3 weeks paid vacation, 12 paid sick days, healthcare insurance at 10% cost, pension 5% of salary, and others. Mileage compensated at $0.29 per mile.
Please send resume and cover letter to Brian Payne at firstname.lastname@example.org
People of color are strongly encouraged to apply