WORKERS RIGHTS DEFENDERS ORGANIZER
Centro de Trabajadores Unidos en Lucha (CTUL) is an organization where workers build power to lead the struggle for fair wages, better working conditions, basic respect, and a voice in our workplaces. We are an organization of workers and for workers, committed to winning this struggle and in doing so, create a better future for the next generation.
Workplace Rights Defenders Program was born after winning the minimum wage increase in the state of Minnesota. With the new wage coming at a time when the state’s Department of Labor and Industry has only four investigators, it was clear that the need for enforcement would not be met by the state. CTUL created a committee of workers to begin to learn about their rights, to be the enforcers of these rights on their job and prepare themselves to advocate for expanded rights through public policy and corporate campaigns with a focus on base building and leadership development with low wage workers across the Twin Cities
This is a full-time, salaried position organizing workers. This work will be carried out in the community and at workers’ homes, churches, and workplaces to organize workers to join a movement fighting for fair wages and working conditions for themselves and others. This includes meeting new workers, identifying potential leaders, and developing leadership to build power in their workplace and in their communities and leading. It also includes supporting workers who are experiencing wage theft at work to communicate with employers to win back stolen wages and highlight their victories.
- Worker outreach through contacts, at community locations, workplaces and at homes.
- Motivate and agitate workers to take action within their campaign and to support other campaigns.
- Identify and develop potential leaders in workers.
- Set up 1-1 meetings with workers identified.
- Be persistent in obtaining commitments from workers.
- Commit workers to take action including speaking publicly, serving on taskforces and work stoppages/strikes.
- Develop meeting agendas and facilitate meetings to engage workers.
- Build CTUL’s membership.
- Meet regularly with the team of organizers to evaluate and improve work.
- Participate in creating new strategic ideas on how to engage workers.
- Participate in and lead direct action.
- Flexible schedule including some early mornings, late evenings and weekends
- Participate in planning and staffing CTUL events.
- Flexible to the needs of carrying out the organizational mission
- Commitment to CTUL’s mission and vision
- Preferably some experience in worker or community organizing
- Proficient in Spanish is necessary, English is a strong plus
- Good relationship building skills
- Ability to listen to people and identify what motivates them
- Willingness to create tension and agitate workers to build power for themselves and their community
- Bilingual in Spanish and English
- Proficiency in MS Word, and Excel
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
Work is preformed in a standard office environment which requires occasionally lifting such articles as boxes or heavier materials with help from others and/or lifting and carrying light objects frequently. A job in this category may require walking or standing to a significant degree or may involve sitting with long periods of computer work and heavy phone usage. An expectation of a 45 hour work week
Salary & Benefit
- $37,400 yearly salary starting with increase after the 1st year
- Low cost Medical and Dental
- 3 weeks paid vacation per year
- 12 paid sick days per year
- + more
Report to & Location
This position reports to the team lead
How to Apply
Send electronic cover letter and resume attention Merle to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line WORKER RIGHTS DEFENDER ORGANIZER
Centro de Trabajadores Unidos en Lucha is an equal opportunity employer people of color strongly encouraged to apply