Workers Rights Lead Organizer
CTUL (Centro de Trabajadores Unidos en Lucha) seeks to hire a Lead Organizer in the Defensores (Rights Defenders) Program. To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “Defensores Lead Organizer.” Applications will be reviewed as they are received; priority application deadline is July 15, 2022.
This is a full-time, salaried position as Lead Organizer. This position reports to the Organizing Director and supervises 3 Organizers, and sometimes additional part-time positions. Responsibilities include managing the program, setting goals and tracking progress, supporting organizers to lead worker committees, developing necessary group processes and trainings, and supervising organizers with a focus on skills development. There may also be some direct leadership development organizing with member leaders, but it will be a small part of the work. This position works from the CTUL office in Minneapolis, with flexibility to work from home or other locations when in-person work is not necessary. We are currently transitioning back to in person activities after working primarily from home since March 2020.
CTUL is a worker-led organization where workers organize, educate, and empower each other to fight for a voice in their workplaces and in their communities. We partner with other organizations and leaders to build a movement to win racial, gender, and economic justice. We identify the root causes of injustice and work to shift the balance of power between those who have it and those who don’t to improve the lives of our communities for present and future generations.
Rights Defenders (Defensores) is a program focused on Leadership Development and Labor Education with a multiracial membership base. We fight against violations of labor rights in the workplace to build power with workers from different industries who have historically been marginalized due to their race, immigration status, gender, and social class in and around the Twin Cities. We focus on leadership development of working class members to lead activities, educate other workers, and join the broader movement for social justice. Defensores Program currently has two committees – a general Defensores committee and the Future Fighters committee which is specifically dedicated to developing black worker leadership.
Primary Responsibilities (Essential duties & responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following)
- Lead yearly planning for program goals and activities, create implementation plan to achieve yearly goals
- Work with members, organizers, and others in the organization to develop knowledge, tools, and strategies to carry the work forward
- Work with the team to develop meeting agendas and facilitate meetings or trainings to engage workers
- Ensure that the team tracks information in the database, such as member information and organizing steps; Submit regular reports on progress toward the team’s goals
- Develop the leadership and supervise organizing staff
- Communicate expectations to organizers, foster accountability in the team and with individuals to meet goals and build power
- Communicate organizational priorities and needs to the organizing team
- Develop relationships with staff in other partner organizations to coordinate work and participate in organizing strong alliances
- Lead regular team meetings to coordinate, evaluate, and improve work
- Willingness to support in campaign actions and organizational events, and to be involved in fundraising and the sustainability of the organization through bringing in at least three new donors each year
- Align plans and strategies with other program areas of CTUL
- Flexible to the needs of carrying out the organizational mission
Qualifications / Necessary Skills
- Commitment to CTUL’s mission and vision
- Minimum three years’ experience organizing; Preference given to experience organizing with poor and working class BIPOC communities
- Past supervisory experience is highly preferable but not required if the candidate has other relevant experience
- Proficiency in spoken and written English and Spanish; This position supervises both Spanish and English speakers.
- Excellent relationship building and communications skills
- Ability to push workers and organizers outside of their comfort zones
- Highly organized, skilled in time management
- Comfortable in taking initiative to solve problems and able to be self-directed in day to day work
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Google Docs, Zoom
- Relevant life experience and/or a deep commitment to working with working class communities of color
Expectations of all staff at CTUL
- Commitment to social, racial, and economic justice work as an integral part of a multi-racial team
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to use diplomacy and negotiation
- Commitment to a culture of vulnerability and loving challenge for both personal growth and the growth of the organization
- Capable of working both independently and cooperatively
- Flexibility to attend events outside normal business hours that from time to time may include evenings and weekends as well as extended hours to accomplish requirements of the position
- Ability to deal with ambiguity, cope with change, and comfortably handle risk and uncertainty
Salary & Benefits
CTUL has a tiered salary range set by the Staff and Board based on the principles of economic justice and inclusion. This is a salaried position currently compensated at $54,590 per year with an annual raise of 3%. This full-time position will normally work 40 hours per week. Benefits include: 3 weeks paid vacation, 12 paid sick days, 5 recuperation days, paid holidays, medical and dental insurance for you and your immediate family at 10% cost, an annual end of year bonus of 5% of your annual salary which can be used towards a retirement fund, and others.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com using the subject line “Defensores Lead Organizer.” Applications will be reviewed as they are received; priority application deadline is July 15, 2022.
CTUL is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people of color as well as persons with disabilities, LGBTQ individuals, women, immigrants, folks from working class backgrounds, and formerly incarcerated people.